On-Site bounded by Lafitte Street, Orleans Avenue, N. Claiborne Avenue, and N. Rocheblave Avenue.
Off-Site Faubourg Lafitte shares the same boundaries as NEWCITY.
Total Development Cost
Following Hurricane Katrina, Providence Community Housing and Enterprise Community Partners were selected by HUD and the Housing Authority of New Orleans to plan and develop a new community on and around the site of the former Lafitte public housing development, a 27.5 acre parcel containing 896 apartments in New Orleans’ historic Tremé/Lafitte neighborhood.
Once complete, the project will include a one-for-one replacement of all 896 subsidized apartments as well as the construction of homeownership and moderate income rental units. In developing this new community in partnership with L&M Development Partners, the Lafitte Residents Council, and the Housing Authority of New Orleans, among others, Providence & Enterprise formally committed to:
- Absolute opportunity for former Lafitte residents to return
- One-for-one replacement of each pre-Katrina subsidized apartment with a suitable and comparable apartment in the same community
- Active and meaningful participation of residents in the redevelopment planning process
- Community supportive services for all residents, both in New Orleans and in other cities
Complete as of July, 2013
Nearly 42% of completed apartments are leased by former Lafitte residents.
- 445 units total
- 276 affordable rentals on the former Lafitte site (on-site)
- 94 rentals within NEWCITY, not on the former Lafitte site (off-site)
- 75 homes for sale, located off-site within NEWCITY
Projected next 3-5 years
- 287 rental units
- 100-unit senior building on-site at Orleans & Galvez
- 89 market rate and workforce level rentals on-site
- 92 off-site affordable rentals
- 80 additional homes for sale
- 52 homes for sale on-site
- 28 homes for sale off-site